Sunday, January 31, 2010

Midterm Therapy

Okay, I don’t even know where to begin with this one. Last week, I had four midterms! One in every class that I’m taking. So needless to say, I needed a relaxing and enjoyable weekend. I decided to make this recipe that I’ve been dying to make and it was definitely the perfect reward for a long week. What could be better than homemade Bittersweet Chocolate Pudding when your brain has been reduced to mush?

Bittersweet Chocolate Pudding
Adapted from Elizabeth's Edible; originally from Cottage Living

Ingredients:
For the Pudding:
4 Egg yolks
1/2 Cup sugar
1/8 Teaspoon salt
1 Cup milk
1 Cups whipping cream
9 Ounces (2 cups) Chopped Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate
For the Whipped Cream:
1/2 Cup additional whipping cream
2 Teaspoons powdered sugar
1/4 Teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Whisk together the first 3 ingredients until smooth.
Combine the milk and 1 cup of the cream in a pan over medium heat, until hot. Slowly pour this into the egg mixture while whisking continuously.
Return this mixture to the sauce pan and cook over medium-low heat. Stir constantly until the mixture thickens and it coasts the spatula.
Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the chocolate. Let stand for 10 minutes and then whisk until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth
Transfer the mixture to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Have the plastic wrap directly cover the surface of the mixture. Refrigerate until it has cooled and set. This will take at least 3 hours.
Right before you’re ready to serve the pudding, combine the remaining 1/2 cup of cream, sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Beat at a high speed with an electric mixture until it begins to stiffen. Dollop a spoonful over each serving of pudding.




So smooth! So rich! So simple! I can never eat already-prepared pudding after eating this. I’ve always been on the pudding side of the pudding v. jello debate and I am positive that one taste of this pudding will bring anyone over to my side. I had to control myself to not eat it all by myself—in one sitting!

4 comments:

  1. Amazing! I'll make this as soon as I get the ingredients..which will be Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm. I need to make this for when my midterms gets here! But I have a feeling that if I started to make this in the dorm kitchen I'd get a lot of visitors wanting a bite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always inspired by your blog posts with your amazing photos! xo Amanda

    ReplyDelete