Thursday, January 21, 2010

My Method of Procrastination

My roommate, Caitlin, introduced me to this recipe. It calls for raisins, but why would I do that if I could use chocolate chips instead? Chocolate chips definitely trump raisins. Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are my favorite but I’ve never come across such a great recipe. They’re nice and thick and chewy and with good quality chocolate chips, I would devour a dozen in a few minutes…despite my lack of a big sweet tooth. It’s very easy and a great way to procrastinate studying.

My Favorite Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients:
1/2 Cup butter, softened
2/3 Cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 Egg
1/2 Teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 Cup all-purpose flour
1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
1/2 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon salt
1 1/2 Cups rolled oats
10-12 Ounces Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Cream together the butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla.
In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ones. Add the oats and chocolate chips.
Chill the dough in the freezer until it is hard (about 20 minutes). Don’t skip this step! They come out with a much better texture if you freeze the dough first.
Scoop the chilled dough onto a greased cookie sheet, two inches apart from each other.
Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes, until they are Golden on the edges but not the top.
Let them sit on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer them to a cooling rack.

If you like oatmeal cookies, you should definitely try these. The brown sugar, cinnamon and bittersweet chocolate chips really compliment each other. Of course, if you like other toppings like raisins, walnuts, craisins, or white chocolate chips, go for it! You will definitely be pleased.

3 comments:

  1. I'm making these as soon as I buy oats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need some to go with my coffee. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the best. I'm still disappointed that you didn't make them last night though! <3

    ReplyDelete