Monday, March 29, 2010

Bringing My Favorites Home

My three favorite cuisines are Thai, Indian and Ethiopian. These are three cuisines, however, that I am not very experienced at cooking. Over spring break, one of my favorite blogs posted a recipe for green curry and it looked so easy that I just had to try it! Mmm, Thai food made at home is simply perfect.

Thai curry typically consists of coconut milk, curry paste and meat or vegetables. Green curry is one of the hotter curries, but it is also characterized by a sweetness that isn't usually found in other curries.

Green Curry with Shrimp Over Coconut Rice
Adapted from Noble Pig

Ingredients:
13.5 Ounces coconut milk
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 Cups long grain white rice (I prefer white Jasmine rice)
1 Tablespoon green curry paste (This can be found in the Asian section of the grocery store. Make sure you're getting the paste and not an already-prepared sauce...although that could work as a substitute if you want to cut out on time/ingredients.)
1 Bunch of asparagus
A few handfuls of snow peas
1 Pound frozen shrimp-peeled, deveined
Juice of 1/2 lime

Directions:
Bring 2 1/2 cups water and 2/3 cup coconut milk to a boil. Salt and add the rice. Cover and lower the heat to a simmer until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. This should take 15-20 minutes.
Meanwhile, head the remaining coconut milk over medium heat in a large skillet. Whisk in the curry paste. Stir in the asparagus and cook for 6 minutes. Add the peas and shrimp and cook until the shrimp is done, About 3-4 minutes. Stir in the like juice and season with salt and pepper. Serve over the coconut rice.




I fell in love with this dish! Not only is it very simple, it tasted just like the curry from my favorite Thai restaurants. The coconut rice was so simple but so full of flavor! I don't want to eat regular rice again. This was just too good. I've already make this once again since the first time (without the shrimp though). Substitute the shrimp with tofu or your favorite meat and switch up the vegetables to your liking. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Caitlin, your lovely roommateMarch 29, 2010 at 10:57 PM

    YUMMM! Looks delicious. And now I can finally see the pictures! :)

    I want this right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, the best roommate everMarch 29, 2010 at 11:14 PM

    I'm for sure going to do this. The shrimp looks AMAZINGGGG, as well as the veggies and curry :)

    ReplyDelete