Tuesday, March 23, 2010

All Wrapped Up

When my Greek Professor first said that we were going to have a potluck on our last day of class, I knew I wanted to make either Dolmas (stuffed grape leaves) or Spanakopitas. When the grocery store didn't have any grape leaves, I knew I'd be making Spanakopitas--fine by me! I absolutely love these little pockets of heaven.

Spanakopitas
Adapted from The Best Traditional Recipes of Greek Cooking

Ingredients:
1 Onion, chopped
Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
3 Eggs, beaten
1 Pound fresh spinach
8 Ounces chunk feta, crubled (it just tastes better when it's not pre-crumbled)
1/2 Cup cream cheese
Freshly ground pepper
Salt to taste
1 Pound thawed phyllo pastry
Olive oil

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375º
In a large skillet, heat up the olive oil and saute the onion until translucent. Add the spinach and cook until wilted.
Meanwhile, combine the eggs, cheeses, salt and pepper.
When the spinach is ready, drain and then add to the eggs and cheese mixture.
Unwrap the phyllo dough from it's box. Lay one sheet of pastry in front of you, lengthwise. Brush the dough with the olive oil and top with another piece of phyllo dough. This part is a bit tough, just because phyllo dough is so fragile. Cut the layered dough into 5 strips from top to bottom.
Place a few tablespoons of the spinach mixture at the bottom of the phyllo dough and roll it up to the top. Repeat this until the mixture is gone. This should make between 25 and 30 Spanakopitas.
Place the pockets on an oiled cookie sheet and gently brush the tops with olive oil. Bake the Spanakopitas until they are lightly browned, 30-35 minutes.





I've been wanting to make these for ages. You really can't go wrong with spinach, cheese and phyllo dough. These actually weren't as hard as I thought they would be. Phyllo dough is hard to work with, but it's doable. And the finished product is just so delicious!

5 comments:

  1. These look fantastic!
    Remember you can also use lightly steamed (to soften them) collard or mustard greens in place of grape leaves

    I've always made spanakopita in a sheet pan and cut them after they're baked.
    These look nice for an appetizer presentation. Were they messy to eat?

    Your close-up food pix are stunning girl!
    Sorry I never sent you a dolmas recipe...☹

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's a great suggestion, Joan!
    Most recipes I read had them rolled up flag-style, but this way seemed simpler to me and I was in a rush (plus my roommates cookbook that was actually from Greece said to do them this way so I figured this version couldn't be too blasphemous).
    They were not difficult to eat. I made sure the spinach was in the center of the phyllo strips so it wouldn't be pouring out. I transported them to my Greek class in tupperware and they held together and were fine to eat.
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow these look ready to jump off the page into my mouth! I just posted something on Greek food, including spanakopita. Stop by when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete