Sunday, October 3, 2010

Home Grown

The excitement over the last few days? Discovering a fruit tree in the backyard!
The other day, I was in the kitchen and heard a knock on the window. It was Caitlin and she was holding some oblong, green, fuzzy thing. I went outside to discover that the tree outside our kitchen was producing fruit! Weird looking fruit at that.
I went inside and got a knife to cut it open. The inside looked like a really gooey and less seedy fig but the outside was definitely too tough to be any sort of fig.
It smelled delicious! It reminded me of the grapes that we used to grow in the backyard of my childhood home. Those grapes tasted and smelled nothing like the grapes from the store, but I would sit outside and pick them and eat them for hours; resulting in an awful stomach ache.
I took a bite of the inside and was pleasantly surprised. Okay, it's definitely not the best tasting fruit I've ever had, but it was also definitely not bad! It wasn't too sweet and just a tad sour and had a delicate taste.
After calling the troupes on facebook to figure out what this fruit was, and a few google searches later, I had my answer--I have a Pineapple Guava tree growing in my backyard.


On the tree. They kind of look like really big almonds to me.


If I'm good, you'll see some Pineapple Guava jam on here in the new future. If not, maybe I'll try next season.

3 comments:

  1. not sure eating mystery fruit from your backyard is a good idea...haha so I'm glad it turned out to be not poisonous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yeah I figured if it was poisonous, my landlord would have been nice and told us about it when we moved it. It was still a gamble though. I'm glad I didn't die.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found out about Pineapple Guavas! Yum!

    ReplyDelete