Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch

So, I have this habit of buying sweet potatoes but never eating them. Here's my theory as to why I have developed the first part of this habit: I grew up in a region that is jokingly stereotyped to be the land of meat and potatoes--but of course, I couldn't eat red meat or potatoes. Great. So I was the "weird" kid that ate sweet potatoes instead (and tofu). But I loved them! And since my family was always running from music lessons to dance practice to soccer tournaments, etc., sometimes sweet potatoes were more than welcome as a simple dinner fix. So, sweet potatoes were a staple in my gotta-break-the-midwestern-stereotypes-when-you-have-a-kid-with-a-weirdo-health-diet home. (That's what they called us, probably along with "those hippies down the street".) Anyway, back to the moral of the story, I still love sweet potatoes, hence my compulsive buying of them. However, I always forget about them at the bottom of my fruit/vegetable bowl...the second, sadder part of the habit. This weekend, I decided to fix that when I realized that I had been craving sweet potato gratin for about 2 weeks in a row. Why? I really have no idea, because I've never even had sweet potato gratin...but I was craving it nonetheless.

Sweet Potato, Parmesan and Gruyere Gratin

Ingredients:
Sweet Potatoes
Parmesan
Gruyere
Cream
Salt and Pepper 

Directions:
Okay, I'll take the harassment for not using measurements. I was hungry and didn't feel like being a good food blogger. But really, there's no need to have specific amounts for this dish.
Preheat the oven to 400
First, peal the sweet potatoes and slice them into disks. Then, slice the disks into thin strips, like shoestring potatoes.
Place a layer in a casserole dish and place a few small slabs of butter over. Shred a bit over both cheeses on top (it really doesn't need to be covered, just sprinkled over) and season with salt and pepper.
Repeat with another later of all of the ingredients. Pour the cream in, until you can start to see it peaking through the sweet potatoes. You don't want so much that it starts to come to the top of the them though...just enough at least to start covering the first layer. Specific, I know.
Place in the oven, covered with the dish lid or with aluminum foil for an hour. For the last 10 minutes, uncover so that the cheese can brown on top. Make sure that the sweet potatoes are cooked all the way through before pulling it out.
Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.


My craving was satisfied! I really loved those two cheeses with the sweet potato. But really, how can you go wrong with sweet potatoes, cream and cheese? You just can't.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet potatoes are AWESOME. This looks incredibly yummy - partially because we eat mostly vegan and I have a monster craving for dairy right now. I make sweet potato wedgies - leave the skins on (fiber), toss in chipolte BBQ sauce, a little oil, some salt pop in the 400 oven for about an hour, tossing occasionally.
    Great snacky thing.
    from one of the Carolyn Weavers

    ReplyDelete