Friday, November 12, 2010

Keeping Warm

I really love making fall dishes. There are so many autumn dishes that are simple to make but do an incredible job warming up the soul. Another spontaneous TJ's grab: acorn squash. Seriously, I shouldn't be allowed in grocery stores without first taking a pledge to only buy what's on my list. Oh well, my lack of self control always ends in a yummy meal so I'll deal with it.

This is a dish that my mom and dad made all the time when I was a kid. It was within my strict dietary restrictions and it was simple for them to make on those busy nights when they were running my brother and I to our various practices and lessons.

Basic Acorn Squash

Ingredients:
(for each acorn squash)
2 dabs of butter
1 tablespoons brown sugar
a few dashes of cinnamon
a small dash of cloves
a bit of salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Directions.
Preheat the oven to 375.
Cut the acorn squash in half and spoon out the seeds. Place a dab of butter in each hollowed out section, followed the sugar and spices, half in each side of the squash.
Place the squash in a pan and bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes, until the squash is tender.
Take out of the oven and enjoy!


I love scooping out huge spoonfulls of this wonderful, creamy squash. It's like the equivalent of pumpkin pie for dinner. This was so perfect with a simple side of israeli couscous, topped with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. Something about fall makes me adore those simple dishes with one distinct and overwhelming flavor and this is definitely one of those. I wouldn't want to overpower the wonderful taste inherent in the squash with anything too strong. I adore this dish for it's beautiful fall flavors and it's minimal preparation time.

2 comments:

  1. Takes me right back to the kitchen in Illinois.

    ReplyDelete