Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Rainy Day Prose

My friend just left from a visit and catch-up-session (involving Woodstock’s Cheese Pizza) and now, I’m taking full advantage of an unexpected summer rainfall by laying in bed with my light on dim, surrounded by incense and candles and my windows open wide to let the crisp, cold air flow into my room. I finally have posters on my wall and I strategically placed my favorites at the end of my bed so I could look at them when I’m laying down. One is Chagall’s La Mariee. This is my absolute favorite painting because of the emotions it evokes. I love how romantic it is, with woman floating through the air while she’s being serenaded by a goat. Everything seems so effortless and relaxed. The woman lacks all tension in her body and makes me want to just melt. While the painting has a heavy sense to it, it remains playful and childish. Every time I look at it, I feel something new. I have two favorite quotes about this painting. One is from the film, Notting Hill, when the lead woman, played by Julia Roberts, is discussing her love of this painting and she remarks “happiness isn’t happiness without a violin-playing goat”. In the song, “Painting by Chagall” by The Weepies, one line goes, “all around is sky and blue town; holding these flowers for a wedding gown. We live so high above the ground, satellites surround us”. Another poster on this wall is one that I just got a few days ago in Berkeley from a Japanese paper store. It is screen painted on mulberry paper and is so elaborate that it is hard to explain. It’s a scenery painting with water and hills of flowers, trees, a bridge and flocks of birds flying into the sky. The colors are so vibrant and there is so much going on in the painting that my eyes just flit from section to section, mesmerized by the scene I’m looking at. Lastly, I have a poster from my Dad that he got in Spain of a beautiful Spanish dancer, wearing a beautiful and elaborate dress, with a long, green train. She’s dancing in the midst of bright flowers, in front of a stucco wall. On the bottom of the poster, it says “Gran Festival De Cante y Baile: con la sensacional actuacion de Brittany”. Every time I look at this poster, I want to get up and dance and dance and dance.

 La Mariee by Marc Chagall

Well, since that was basically a very round-about way to say that I’m in the perfect blogging mood, I guess I should move onto the food aspect of this post. Here’s a post of the first thing I made in my new kitchen. This was made when the kitchen was still unpacked, so I had to do some digging to even find a skillet. It was a simple breakfast but it felt incredible to be making my own food again. Plus, sometimes the simplest dishes taste the best if they’re made with good, fresh ingredients (on bright green counters). 

Egg and Goat Brie Breakfast Sandwich

Ingredients:
1 egg
½ of a bread roll (any kind of bread works, really)
Butter
1 clove of garlic
Brie or any kind of creamy cheese (I used triple cream goat brie)

Directions:
In one skillet, fry the egg.
In another skillet, melt a few tablespoons of butter at medium heat. Cut the bread roll  open and place the open part in the skillet, making sure that it’s covered in butter. Fry until the bread is golden. Meanwhile, cut the clove of garlic in half.
When the bread is ready, rub the garlic over the golden part of the bread to impart the flavor. Place a few slices of the cheese on one slice of bread, top with the fried egg and a bit of fresh ground pepper.



If you have any greens that you could sauté up, go for it! That would really add a lot. Or maybe some bacon or ham? This was just thrown together with the ingredients that I had on hand. The orange cherry tomatoes to go along with it and the Pomegranate Blackberry Juice made for a perfect first breakfast in my new place in the midst of mountains of boxes.

5 comments:

  1. mmmm looks delicious and i have all the ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, my dear, I have missed your posts. Good food and good writing make such a lovely combination: )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the description of La Mariee :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of you posting in the midst of your new home on a rainy day...love ya Sissy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you love that Spanish poster so. To think I almost lost it! And I fully intend to make this sandwich one morning.

    ReplyDelete