Sunday, March 7, 2010

Way Better than Store Bought

Everyone in my apartment is pretty obsessed with making quesadillas. It's a staple snack in our house. So when I saw a recipe for flour tortillas, I knew I had to try it. When I saw how simple the ingredients and the process in this recipe were, I was even more convinced. I love that I can make a bunch of these at the beginning of a week and then have them available for snacks the rest of the week.

Flour Tortillas
Adapted from Om Nom Nomnivore

Ingredients:
2 1/4 Cups all purpose flour
2 Teaspoons baking powder
1 Teaspoon salt
2 Teaspoon vegetable oil
3/4 Cup hot milk

Directions:
Heat up the milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir often to be sure not to scold the milk.
Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the vegetable oil and slowly add the hot milk until it forms a ball of dough. Add more milk or flour if needed.
Mix this for a few minutes and then place on a floured surface and knead a couple times.
Divide the dough into 12 balls and roll each ball out into approximately 6" circles. Make sure that they are rolled very thin. The first batch I made, I didn't roll out quite enough and they came out like a mix between Indian Naan and tortillas (they still tasted delicious but they weren't quite tortillas).
Meanwhile, heat up a skillet to medium-hot. Don't add any oil or butter-keep the skillet dry.
One at a time, place a tortillas on the skillet. This part is so fun to watch because the dough starts to form little bubbles all over. Leave the tortilla for 30 seconds and then flip it over and let it cook for another 30 seconds. Repeat until they're all done.


I am never getting store bought tortillas again! These taste so much better and they're so easy to make. They really only take a few minutes. Pair them with some mozzarella cheese and you have a wonderfully simple and tasty snack.

4 comments:

  1. That is a fantastic looking recipe. I've been meaning to make homemade tortillas when I found out a couple weeks ago that Mission tortillas have hydrogenated oil in them. This recipe looks way easier than the one I was planning to use, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wonder if traditional flour tortillas have milk in them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of the recipes I saw either had warm milk or warm water. But I'd say flour tortillas aren't traditional in the first place simply because they're flour tortillas, not corn tortillas. Flour tortillas came to Mexico when the Spanish brought wheat flour and they are similar to the unleaven bread from Arab and Mediterranean countries (pita and naan). All of the recipes I saw seemed to be from Texas cooking sites and I'd say that the milk was a Texan addition, but I'm not sure of that.

    ReplyDelete