Sunday, February 28, 2010

Afternoon Treats

I recently stumbled upon a picture of a boba drink and I just had to make it! Boba are small, chewy, sweet tapioca balls that are used in Taiwanese bubble tea. The first time I ever had Bubble tea, I despised it! I mean, the tea was delicious but the boba...I thought it was horrible! I've always been someone to have huge issues with consuming food with weird textures and the first boba I ever had really didn't do it for me. It was very chewy and I just couldn't understand why anyone would want to deal with that? At the time, I viewed it as something that was just getting in the way of me enjoying a nice cup of milk tea. Turns out, most of my friends love boba. So we would often go to tea houses and they would all get bubble tea and laugh at me because I would only get tea. About a year ago, I decided to tough it out and try boba again. This time, I loved it! I don't know what it was-if the boba I had the first time was just bad boba or if I had grown into liking the texture-but I really enjoyed boba. Now, I even get cravings for boba quite often. If the boba is good, it isn't overly chewy like I remember my first boba being, and it won't stick to your teeth. Boba can be found at Asian markets and it comes dried and you boil it to create the chewy texture. After it is drained, you mix it with some sort of sweetener. Boba adds an interesting texture and a little extra sweetness to any drink.

The drink I saw recently is called Tahô, and not only does it have boba in it, but it also has silken tofu! Okay, that might sound really weird, I know. When I first saw a picture of the drink, I thought it looked amazing and then I looked at a recipe and saw that it had silken tofu and I was really confused as to whether I should still think it looked amazing or if it was just weird. Well the answer is, it's amazing. Tahô is a common  Philippine sweet and is made with silken tofu, boba and a brown sugar simple syrup.

Tahô
Makes 3 servings.

Ingredients:
1 Pound silken tofu
1 Cup dried boba
1 Tablespoon honey
1 Cup water
2 Cups brown sugar

Directions:
Boil water for the tofu. Once the water is boiling, add the tofu and boil for 5 minutes. Once it is done, drain it and split between the glasses.
Boil water for the boba. Add the boba to the boiling water and boil for 5 minutes. Turn the stove down to medium and cover the boba. Let simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and mix with the honey, then split between the glasses.
Boil water for the brown sugar. Once the water is boiling, add the brown sugar and stir until it starts to thicken. I didn't want mine to be too syrupy so I didn't let it thicken too much. Pour enough in each glass so it just comes to the top of the boba.


This was a great treat for a weekend afternoon. It was very sweet so after drinking half, I added a bit of milk to cut down on the sweetness. You could always add less honey if it's too sweet for you.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so this looks wild...I am up for trying it but would cut back on the honey a bit...I love boba!!!

    ReplyDelete